Spend Christmas in Singapore 2023 | Christmas Events, Icy Fun, Light Parades, and More!
Christmas in Singapore sees an annual celebration of togetherness, giving, and hope - and of course, this celebration comes in the form of larger-than-life Christmas events, attractions, activities, markets, and a whole lot more. Know more about how Singaporeans spend their holiday season and you're bound to want to spend your next Christmas there!
Why Spend Christmas in Singapore?
- If you like traveling to Singapore as a tourist, then you're going to love Christmas in Singapore, as there are more things to do than ever at this tourism haven.
- Some of the country's most-awaited events take place during December in Singapore, especially during the holiday season - like the Christmas on a Great Street, for instance.
- Singapore's temperate climate and balmy weather during the holiday season make it an especially enjoyable location to travel to, this time of the year.
- Everyone is bound to find their ideal way of spending Christmas, as Singapore's diversity calls out to tourists and natives from all cultures and backgrounds.
Top 11 Things to do on Christmas in Singapore
1. Revel in a Christmas Event
Prepare to be making a lot of difficult choices, as almost all attractions in Singapore - big or small - host their very own event for Christmas where they go all out with the festive cheer.
The most-awaited events during Christmas in Singapore are:
- Christmas on a Great Street | Find on map
- Pinkmas, Museum of Ice Cream Singapore
- A Universal Christmas, Universal Studios Singapore
- Merry Fishmas, S.E.A. Aquarium Singapore
2. Partake in Icy Activities
Nothing like taking in the winter breeze around you to usher in the festive spirit, especially if it’s Singapore’s pleasant winters. Enjoy an activity that’s as fun for the first-time skater as it is for the experienced!
Here are the best places to enjoy some icy fun during Christmas:
- The Rink | Find on map
- Kallang Ice World | Find on map
- CHIJMES | Find on map
- Snow City
3. Indulge in a Singaporean Christmas Feast
Feast away to your heart’s content on some of your favorite traditional Christmas meals that have been Singapore-ified, providing a unique festive dining experience that is impossible to find anywhere else.
Here are some Christmas must-try foods in Singapore:
- Yule log cake with pandan gula melaka at Bake Avenue | Find on map
- Christmas Tandoori Turkey at Shahi Maharani North Indian Restaurant | Find on map
- Boneless roast turkey breast with buah keluak sauce at Copthorne King's Hotel | Find on map
- Sugee Cake at Chin Mee Chin | Find on map
4. Attend Christmas Wonderland
Transport yourself to another reality entirely at Gardens by the Bay with one of the most breathtaking events with which Singaporeans welcome the holiday season in. Truly the place to be if you’re looking for an extravagant Christmas celebration in Singapore!
The best things to do at Christmas Wonderland are:
- Participating in carnivalesque games, activities, and rides
- Heading to the Mistletoe Alley Market for some Christmas shopping
- Marveling at the luminaries for some stunning photos
- Boarding a shimmering carriage to enter a real-life fairytale
5. Explore Changi Airport's Festive Cheer
As the most popular hubspot for tourists in the country, it is no surprise that the Changi Airport gears up for its own Christmas celebration every year. With stunning light displays, activities, and more, this attraction is no less than a veritable Christmas theme park!
The best things to do at Changi Airport on Christmas are:
- Getting some pictures with Disney Tsum Tsums
- Glamping your heart out with a luxurious staycation experience
- Time traveling to the past with Dino Blitz
- Gorging on the largest fries in Singapore at the Dino Carnival
6. Visit Snow City
As Singapore’s response to a mild winter, Snow City is the spot to experience the icy fun that Christmas is incomplete without. It’s frosty fun for kids and adults alike!
The best activities at Snow City on Christmas are:
- Chilling in snowy bumper rides
- Exploring the ice sculptures at the Ice Hotel Gallery
- Gliding down the giant 60-meter snow slide
- Practicing your aim at the Winter Shooting Arena
7. Shop Till You Drop at Christmas Markets
Christmas markets in Singapore are great for much more than shopping, as simply strolling through one is enough for you to experience the full force of Christmas festivities. With Christmas displays and crafts abound, there’s plenty to see at these markets!
Find the best Christmas markets in Singapore at:
- Kempinski Christmas Market | Find on map
- Universal Studios Singapore Festive Market
- i'mable Gift Market | Find on map
- Mistletoe Alley Market at Christmas Wonderland | Find on map
8. Take the Singapore River Cruise on Christmas
While taking the Singapore River Cruise is generally a magical experience, it is even more so during Christmas in Singapore. Expect to be flanked by bright Christmas lights, Christmas mascots, and carolers.from SGD 25
9. Experience the One15 Christmas Boat Light Parade
Adding a festive touch to one of Singapore’s most popular (and competitive!) events, the Boat Light Parade comprises a glorious display of, well, gorgeous boats, Christmassy inflatables, and a ton of fun for the watchers and participants!Know more
10. Head to Church for Service
Those looking for a more somber moment in the midst of their festive shenanigans can head to one of Singapore’s many churches to participate in Midnight Mass or other services and programs offered by the church.
The most popular locations for Christmas service are:
- Church of the Holy Family | Find on map
- Catholic Church of St Ignatius | Find on map
- St George's Church | Find on map
- Church of St Bernadette | Find on map
11. Go to a Mall
It’s no surprise that Singapore’s futuristic shopping malls have some of the most flamboyant Christmas displays. Some of them also feature well-loved pop culture in addition to majestic Christmas trees, so don’t miss out on these sights!
The best malls to go to at Christmas are:
- Bugis Junction | Find on map
- Raffles City Singapore | Find on map
- ION Orchard | Find on map
- Junction 8 | Find on map
Frequently Asked Questions About Celebrating Christmas in Singapore
Christmas is one of the best times of the year to visit Singapore, as most (if not all) tourist attractions organize Christmas-special activities, events, and attractions that make this memorable tourist destination even more so.
While Singapore at Christmas does get slightly cooler weather than the rest of the year, it is by no means unpleasantly cold. Visitors can expect the usual humid and sunny Singapore weather, with frequent gusts of cool air and quite a bit of rainfall throughout the month.
Singapore actually sees some of its biggest crowds during the winter months, owing to the respite from the heat. Tourists also flock to Singapore to attend celebrations for Christmas and New Year's Day.
While Christmas is a public holiday for everyone in Singapore, it is rare to see anything closed up during this time of the year. Shopping malls, popular tourist attractions, restaurants, and other such establishments will definitely be open on Christmas!
The annual Mistletoe Alley Market at the Christmas Wonderland, held at Gardens by the Bay, is by far the most popular Christmas market in Singapore.
Luckily, almost all restaurants are open on Christmas in Singapore - and most even offer special Christmas menus to celebrate the holiday season, so don't miss out on those!
The best place to stay in Singapore during Christmas is undoubtedly anywhere near Orchard Road, as it places you in the midst of all the Christmas action - especially with the famous Christmas on a Great Street just minutes away from where you're staying.
Singapore has no dearth of what to eat on Christmas day, with meaty delicacies like stuffed turkey, wagyu beef, steak, and a variety of roasts gracing almost every table on Christmas.
Keeping in mind the sheer diversity of Singapore's cuisine, you can expect to be spoilt for choices when it comes to your Christmas feast. For special Christmas menus, don't miss out on popular spots like Racines and Andaz Singapore.
To catch some of the most magical spots for Christmas lights in Singapore, you can head to Orchard Road, Christmas Wonderland at Gardens by the Bay, and CHIJMES for its light show!
In the way of Christmas traditions in Singapore, some may head to church for Midnight Mass and make homecooked meals for their Christmas feast, while others may choose to head out to participate in Christmas events and see the attractions around the city,