Discover a unique view of Singapore with Sentosa Cable Car
Established in 1974, the Singapore Cable Car is the first and only cableway of the nation. What was once a fun weekend activity for local residents has now become a popular tourist attraction, bringing in people from all around the world.
Connected from Mount Faber to Sentosa Island, the cable car ride provides a 360 degree, aerial view of the garden city that is Singapore. What’s more is that it is connected to many famous landmarks such as Universal Studios, Mount Faber Park, Siloso Beach, Keppel Harbour, Adventure Cove Waterpark, and Central Business District. Here's everything you need to know about Sentosa Cable Car.
Why Visit Singapore Cable Car
Among the many attractions in Singapore, its cable car ride is a beloved favorite. It not only gives visitors a chance to marvel at the beautiful expanse of greenery on Sentosa Island, but also goes across Keppel Harbour, giving viewers an unforgettable experience of seeing the vast azure sea.
This unique cable car ride is the perfect way to experience the resort island of Sentosa and explore its many attractions. Although there are a few cable cars around the world, this is the only one that crosses over a city highway, a beautiful blue cruise harbour, and onto an island, making it a treat for the senses.
Whether you want to simply go on a round trip or spend the day exploring Sentosa, the Singapore Cable Car should be on your to-do list. The ride is not only a popular tourist attraction but a fun activity for local residents.
History of Sentosa Cable Car
Singapore Cable Car had its grand opening all the way back in 1974 on the 15th of February. It was the nation’s first-ever cableway and remains the only one to this date. It was also the second cableway in the whole world after Port Vell Aerial Tramway in Barcelona, which was open to visitors in 1931.
Stretching over a length of 1650 meters (5410 ft.), the Sentosa cable car ride provides stunning panoramic views of the city including luscious green landscapes at Sentosa Island and picturesque views of the city.
The glass-bottom cabins were added in November 1999 and a complete remodel began in September of 2009. With the inclusion of a modern mono-cable and detachable gondolas, it was reopened on July 21st, 2010, and continues to be one of the major attractions in Singapore.
What to See
Your visit to Sentosa Cable Car ride doesn’t just include a marvellous view of the scenic city, but also a look at some of its major attractions and spots. Here are some of the places you should look out for on your cable car ride:
- Universal Studios: For a fun day out with the family, head on over to Universal Studios Singapore. Spread across 20 hectares of land with its unique architecture and themed zones, this theme park will add a whole lot of excitement to your visit. Spend your day exploring its 7 themed zones, built after some of the film studios’ hit movies, along with countless rides and shows.
- Mount Faber: Originally named Telok Blangah Hill, Mount Faber is a unique spot and a must-visit when in Singapore. With the addition of the cable car station in 2005, it is now a popular tourist destination. Grab a drink or indulge in a hearty meal at one of the bars and restaurants at the peak, while you enjoy picturesque views of the city.
- Siloso Beach: Known for its hippy culture and clear waters, Siloso Beach is the perfect spot to unwind on your visit. It is a great spot for fun-lovers with a wide range of bars and restaurants laid along its shore. There are also fun water sports you can indulge in if you’re looking for some adventure.
- Keppel Harbour: Take a walk through history and learn about the significance of the famous Keppel Harbour, also called Keppel Channel. Connecting the mainland of Singapore to its southern islands, this stretch of water serves as the main entry point to the city by sea. The harbour played a key role during the Second World War and serves as a unique historical attraction today.
- Adventure Cove Waterpark: If you’re looking for a fun and adventurous getaway, then Adventure Cove Waterpark is the perfect way to spend your day. Unlike any other waterparks, you get to interact with marine life and snorkel with over 20,000 fish spread across a colorful reef. If you’re lucky, you might even encounter some sharks!
- Central Business District: Home to some of the most prestigious companies, both national and international, the Central Business District is a hot spot for finance and business. Take a walk through the beautiful skyline of Singapore and get a closer look at some of its magnificent architecture. You can even get some cool photos after sunset when the city lights up!
- Make the most of your Sentosa cable car ride by sightseeing around the route. Major landmarks and attractions in Singapore can be accessed from the different stations along the cable car ride.
- Both day and night views from the Singapore Cable Car are spectacular. Try to plan an all-day itinerary so you can start off and end your ride with different but breath-taking views of the city.
- It can get hot especially on sunny days, so make sure to keep your windows open for adequate ventilation or try and avoid rides during noon.
- Weekends are usually crowded, especially in the mornings. Plan your visit during weekdays for a more peaceful and relaxed experience.
- The Sentosa cable cars are extremely spacious inside and can fit up to 8 people. You don’t have to worry about taking in a stroller or wheelchair with you, given its ample space.
- High temperatures can make your experience slightly uncomfortable so make sure you carry enough water and a pair of shades with you.
- The last boarding is at 8 PM and ticket counters close at 7:45 PM. If you wish to catch the night view from the cable car, try to reach the station before 7:45 PM.
- Sentosa cable car ride is also perfect for those who want to experience a round trip, taking in views of the city and its surroundings.
Book Your Singapore Cable Car Tickets
Sentosa Cable Car: FAQs
Sentosa Cable Car is open every day from 8:45 AM to 8:30 PM. Between 16 May 2021 to 13 June 2021, the timings will be 8:45 AM – 6 PM daily.
You can choose between a standard Sentosa cable car ticket and a dining experience. Learn more about Singapore cable car tickets.
All guests are required to wear masks and maintain physical distance, a temperature check is done upon entrance, and cable cars are disinfected after every ride, among other measures taken to maintain safety of guests.
Yes, the Sentosa Cable Car is wheelchair accessible.
There are two lines for the cable car — Sentosa Line and Mount Faber Line. Mount Faber Line is the older line while Sentosa Line is the newer one. Tickets include access to both lines.
Restrooms with locker facilities are available if you would like to store baggage before getting on the ride. These facilities are also available on all beaches at Sentosa Island.
You can choose from a wide variety of attractions and activities at Sentosa Island, from dining, spas, shopping centers, resorts, waterparks, beaches like Siloso Beach, theme parks like Universal Studios, activities like Skyline Luge, and more.